MAKES 8-10 ROLLS
10 large cabbage leaves (pre-boiled
or pre-frozen and thawed)
1/2 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 cup onion (chopped)
2 garlic cloves (minced)
1 lb ground turkey
3/4 (800 ml) can of diced tomatoes
3/4 cup cooked quinoa
1 (24 oz) can of spaghetti sauce
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
- Saute ground turkey in a skillet over medium-high heat, breaking it apart with a spatula in the same way you would ground beef. Drain excess fat from the pan and set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt coconut oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sautee until onion becomes translucent.
- Mix in cooked turkey, cooked quinoa, diced tomatoes and spices. Bring to a low boil and let simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
- Taking one previously softened cabbage leaf at a time. Lay it out flat and scoop 1/3 cup of the meat and quinoa filling near the stem end of the leaf. Fold the stem over the filling and the sides in towards the middle. Roll it up and secure with wooden toothpick! If you are new to this whole cabbage rolling thing, maybe watch this video (2:42 in to be exact.)
- Place your finished cabbage rolls into the bottom of your slowcooker. This could turn into a fun game of Tetris...
- Top with spaghetti sauce and cook on low for four hours or until heated through to middle. Enjoy!