First, I would like to start off by noting that I titled this post 'Part One' because I ate so much delicious food during my time in Boston that it would be overwhelming to try and cram all of that into one sitting. Seriously though, I'm surprised I was able to fit in my seat on the flight home. Not to mention, one night we made two dinner reservations. The eating got a bit out of hand, but we went there to eat and so eat we did! While researching restaurants before arriving in the Walking City, I was on the hunt for menus that featured premium dishes using locally-sourced ingredients and offered a variety of gluten-free options, as my travel companion suffers from a gluten intolerance. This is a summary of my favorite spots from Day One.
One word: AMAZING. If you travel to Boston and are following a Paleo diet, have dietary restrictions or food allergies, then I highly suggest you make the trip out of town for a treat at Fomu. You won’t regret it! This locally made, all-natural, dairy-free ice cream shop has two locations in Boston, MA. We visited the one in Allston (two times because it was that good.) Their signature ice cream is made from scratch using coconut milk and then sweetened with unrefined cane sugar and agave. It is churned using little air to create a gelato-like consistency. They have endless flavors to pick from and if you are bad at making decisions the friendly staff were quick to offer up samples! They also make from-scratch, premium, plant-based baked goods and have a variety of gluten-free, nut-free, and soy-free options. I highly recommend getting a gluten-free ice cream sandwich if you stop by, which are always conveniently stocked in a refrigerated area of the store. I could eat this stuff all day!
What we ate:
- Mint Chip Ice Cream Sandwich (gluten-free, dairy-free)
- Coconut Magic Bar Ice Cream (gluten-free, dairy-free)
- Affogato – Peanut Butter Chip Ice Cream topped with Expresso (gluten-free, dairy-free)
My Menu Favorite
- Coconut Magic Bar Ice Cream - I had it twice!
Located conveniently beside Fomu ice cream shop is this awesome little taco bar called Lonestar. This was our first meal when we arrived in Boston and it definitely didn’t disappoint. We started with the 'best margaritas in Boston' and finished with very full stomachs! The owners of Deep Ellum, a well-known modern American bar located next door in Allston, opened Lonestar in 2012. The menu features house roasted, smoked, pickled, and fresh chilis, hand-made masa harina gluten-free corn tortillas, slow-cooked pork carnitas, and mesquite-smoked beef barbacoa, just to name a few. The food was delicious and the staff were very welcoming! I'm looking forward to trying out their sister restaurant Deep Ellum someday when I return. All-in-all a perfect start to our eating get-away.
What we ate:
- The Lonestar Margarita
- Victory Club Nachos, the original 1949 bar snack.
- Carnitas Pork Taco - confit pork shoulder, salsa verde, cilantro, queso fresco
- Taco special - beef Barbacoa - Smoked brisket, pickled red onion, avocado crema, cotija
My Menu Favourite
- Victory Club Nachos – these delicious house-made chips were topped with crema sauce, nappa cabbage, Cotija cheese, pickled jalapenos and a few dabs of guacamole. If you want to read a whole review on just the nachos click here.
Located in Boston’s Harvard Square is a modern American tavern serving up seasonally inspired, classic dishes. Russell House is the perfect spot for any occasion, whether it's lunch on the patio or a romantic dinner. The menu features dishes such as a crispy soft poached chip-in farm egg with pecorino aioli, crispy pig's head cake with a soft poached egg and ginger-maple aioli, and local Berkshire pork trio with herb-grilled loin, confit belly, smoked shoulder, Anson Mills grits and sauce vinegar. They also prepared some amazing cocktails and desserts! We would have loved to get a seat out in the alley patio, but when we arrived it was already full of people.
What we ate:
- Maine Family Farms Steak Tartare with Toasted Caper Brioche, Quail Egg Yolk
- House Charcuterie Board with Chicken Liver Paté, Smoked Fish Rillette, Smoked Pork Rillette, Seasonal Accompaniments, Daily Selection of House-Cured Meats
- Maine Rock Shrimp Salad with Smoked Tomato Aioli, Avocado, Crispy Tortilla
- Flourless Chocolate Cake with White Chocolate Ice Cream, Cherry Gastrique
My Menu Favourite
- Flourless Chocolate Cake with White Chocolate Ice Cream, Cherry Gastrique – We inhaled this in less then three minutes.