For the Faux-ghetti and Sauce
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- Salt to taste
- 1 jar of sugar-free spaghetti sauce
For the Meatballs
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 pound ground chicken
- 1/2 cup almond meal (flour)
- 2 eggs
- 1 small yellow onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 3-4 cloves of garlic (peeled and pressed)
- 1 1/2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Slice the spaghetti squash in half. Scoop out all of the seeds and stringy flesh. Place the squash in a roasting pan with the cut-side down. Add a small amount of water to cover the bottom of the pan and cook for 45 minutes or until the squash becomes tender. It is ready when you can easily pierce a fork through the flesh all the way to the peel.
- Meanwhile, prepare the meatballs. Brush a baking sheet with olive oil or coconut oil. Pulse the onion, carrot and garlic in a food processor. Transfer into a large bowl and combine with remaining meatball ingredients. Use your hands to ensure everything is mixed thoroughly. Roll mixture into 1-inch balls and transfer onto prepared baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through. You can put these in the oven while the squash is cooking.
- Make the sauce: Transfer spaghetti sauce into a saucepan and place on stove over medium heat. Stirring occasionally, heat the sauce for approximately 10 minutes or until it reaches desired temperature.
- Use a fork to scrape the spaghetti squash strands into a large bowl and toss with 2 tbsp of grated parmesan. Season with salt. Divide the squash among individual bowls and top each with meatballs and sauce.