I started this recipe with the intention to make soft plantain tortillas for shrimp tacos, however what I got was something even more fantastic – delicious, fluffy, pancakes that don’t over-do it with nut flours. The pancakes still worked amazing as an open-face bottom for my shrimp tacos (it was a little crumbly to roll up into a shell.) I then adapted the recipe, taking out the garlic, onion, and salt for a terrific pancake that can be topped with syrup, rolled up with nut butter and jam, or covered in your favourite fruity preserve!
MAKES 10-12 PANCAKES
For savory pancakes
2 large plantains chopped (med-ripe)
2 tsp salt
2 tsp onion powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
For sweet pancakes
2 large plantains chopped (ripe)
2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place chopped plantains into a food processor or blender and combine for one minute.
- Add in remaining ingredients and continue to combine until mixture is smooth.
- Spoon out a flat circle of mixture onto parchment paper. You should be able to fit four circles onto a sheet.
- Bake for 5-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown.